David S. Betts, a permanent resident of Wilmette since 1901, died Tuesday, March 15, at his home, 1025 Thirteenth street, at the age of 92 years. Mr. Betts first came to Wilmette in 1876. He lived here that year and in 1877, then moved away and returned in 1901 to make his permanent residence here. Mr. Betts was born in Cairo, N.Y., in 1840. He came west in a covered wagon in 1960, but was overtaken by illness in Missouri and was unable to proceed farther. He started in business at St. Catherine, Mo., where in 1869 he married Lydia Stolp. Mrs. Betts died last May 16. In 1871 Mr. Betts came to Chicago and entered the employ of J.V. Farwell and company, with whom he remained until he retired in 1926. He is survived by one son, Norman S. Betts, three grandchildren, Norman D., Richard S., and Barbara M., and one sister, Mrs. Emily Wallace of Cairo, N.Y. The funeral services were held at his late residence last Thursday, with the Rev. John G. Hindley of the Wilmette Congregational church officiating. Burial was at Rosehill cemetry. The pallbearers were old time business associates of Mr. Betts.
David S. Betts Dies at Age of 92; Old Resident
- Wilmette Life (Wilmette, Illinois), 24 Mar 1932, p. 7
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Type
- David S. Betts, a permanent resident of Wilmette since 1901, died Tuesday, March 15, at his home, 1025 Thirteenth [13th] street, at the age of 92 years.
- Date of Publication
- 24 Mar 1932
- Personal Name(s)
- Betts, David
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Illinois, United States
Latitude: 42.07225 Longitude: -87.72284
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Image may be used with credit to Wilmette Public Library
- Wilmette Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address1242 Wilmette Avenue
U.S.A. Phone: 847-256-6930
- Full Text